How To Make a Cup of Tea
The secret to making a good cup of tea is water (and good quality tea of course!). The water used needs to be freshly drawn and at the right temperature.
Empty & refill that kettle!
Tempting as it is to keep reboiling that kettle time after time, it’s much better to use freshly drawn water each time. By using freshly drawn water you’re ensuring that it’s properly oxygenated – this is important to ensure your tea tastes its best. Those times that you’ve made a cup of tea in the normal way and it’s just tasted…well, a bit blah…chances are you used water that had been reboiled many times.
Keep it cool…
Water temperature can make or break a good tea. Whereas black teas need to be brewed using boiling water to be at their best, using the same water for green, oolong or white tea can completely ruin them. These more delicate teas require a lower temperature so that they’re not scorched by the water. See the below guide to ensure you’re using the right temperature. At Silver Lantern Tea we often hear people say they “don’t like green tea”. However in most cases, they’re using water that is too hot. Once brewed properly, the difference in taste can be dramatic.
How to make the perfect cup of tea
Just follow these easy steps to make the perfect cup of tea:
1) Fill your kettle with freshly drawn water and boil
2) Pour a little of the hot water into your pot and swill it round – this warms it up a bit (don’t forget to pour the water away after swilling)
3) Put 1tsp of loose leaf tea per 200ml water into your pot – preferably one with a removable filter
4) Pour water of correct temperature (see table) onto loose tea leaves
5) Leave to brew for time per instructions (between 2 and 5 minutes normally)
6) Pour your tea, add milk/lemon to taste and enjoy
|°C||Tea Type||Minutes to cool from boiling.|
|100||Black Tea||No Time - Use Immediately|
|90||Black Tea and "Black" Oolong||2-4 Minutes|
|85||Green Tea||4-6 Minutes|
|80||Green, White and "Green" Oolong||8-10 Minutes|
|70||Green, White and "Green" Oolong||16-20 Minutes|
Buy Silver Lantern Tea loose leaf tea to make the perfect cuppa.
Free delivery to UK addresses.